Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Discretionary law enforcement

With the modern crisis that nearly every city and state currently is facing, I see why there is an issue with enforcement and prosecution of offenders of the law. I also understand that there are issues with manpower, resources and other tools needed to take care of the challenges faced by law enforcement and the judicial system.
What I fail to understand though, is how and by whom are the determinations made as to what laws to enforce today?
If there are laws on our books that aren't cost effective to enforce and they are something that someone in authority chooses not to enforce, well, why are they there?
The reason the laws are there is because they were created to protect the law abiding citizen. The law makers listened to the citizens and created the laws. The enforcement is apparently discretionary?
This is not acceptable. If there are laws to protect the citizenry from opression, discrimination, exploitation or criminal acts, they are not discretionary.
I have seen our own government take the teeth out of immigration reform and give amnesty to those that break the law and are in our country without the legal right. I have seen our government coddle those that would persecute and terrorize us. I have even seen our own government ignore it's own citizens for our best interests, like we are all children and too stupid to take care of ourselves.
If laws are not to be enforced I say get better enforcement, not remove the laws and penalties. I for one believe that the law is best if obeyed and enforced for the betterment of all free citizens and our society.
A lawless society is a failed society, but one with laws that they do not enforce is a joke.
Just my opinion, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment