Monday, September 12, 2011

9-11 and the changes in our country

Like most Americans I did have numerous chances this last weekend to observe the various rememberances and solemn ceremonies related to the 10th anniversary of 9-11.
I watched these ceremonies with the reverence and understanding that things in this country are NOT like they were when I was a child.
When I was a child there was patriotism and a sense of comfort amoung Americans. We were the big dogs on the block and we were comfortable in knowing that we were doing the right things within the world. Even though there were struggles in our own society we were a pretty secure people.
All that changed on September 11, 2001.
I remember exactly where I was when this event unfolded.
I had just stopped home to attend to my father that morning and the news was on detailing the first crash into the WTC. I stood there watching the news and could not believe how someone could make such a mistake as to fly into a massive skyscraper in broad daylight.
I was on the phone to my wife and watching the news broadcast when the second plane struck the other building. I knew then that the first crash was no accident.
I do remember that all I could say was "Oh my god, I can't believe this". I stood there with my dad and just absolutely could not believe what I was seeing.
I, like so many other Americans, really had no idea how this event would shape our culture for the forseeable future from this point on.

In World War 2, the Japanese dared not attack America on our own shores. They were assured that the typical American citizen would not just blindly stand by and let such an event occur without swift and sure retribution. We were still the big dog.

Now we have been shown that there are groups and nations out there that not only despise us for our culture and freedoms, but seek to destroy those very things that we hold precious in our daily lives.
They have taken much, but not all from us. They have not taken the American spirit and the willingness to stand up to this type of action.
George Bush said that "They will hear us very soon" and he was correct. I firmly believe that this nation is the greatest on the globe and we need to find the way to get back to being the big dog on the block.
The surge of patriotism and comraderie that occured after the attacks on the WTC was really something to behold. I saw a small glimmer of that this weekend but I wish truly that this would be the norm in our daily lives. We need to be proud of being Americans each and every day. Being a patriot and defending our country should not need ceremony and a special occasion. We should be vigilant and defensive of our culture and way of life each and every day.
I was truly moved by the victims of the tragedy and acts of terrorism that day like many other Americans and I will never forget the innocent victims of that act.
I personally wish for something more to come out of this. I want all Americans to remember that there were many others sacrificed and many others that fought bravely and gave everything prior to that day and there are still many that still do this each and every day just for our right to be FREE!
Freedom isn't Free is more than just words. It is a fact of being the leader in the quest to be the greatest nation in the world.
Yes there are those that despise us and wish us evil, but the American patriotic spirit will never be hidden behind closed doors.
Be proud of your freedom, but remember it does have a price.

No comments:

Post a Comment