Monday, July 18, 2011

Welcome to my past

For those of you out there, I am one of many that actually have a past.
I had spoken to a writer for Salt Lake City Weekly about doing a story on my candidacy for President of the United States. Imagine the return call I received only a few minutes later, as he had run a background check on me.
I knew that the issues of my much younger, drinking past would come to light. I had no intention of trying to do what all other politicians do, hide the past to look lily white. I am not proud of my poor behaviour, but I see that time in my life as a learning experience.
I do know that there are those out there that will seek to try ot make me look like some sort of an undesirable character, or a bad guy. I see this part of my past as a learning path that I walked upon and the walked away from.
If you read the story and it changes your opinion of me that is your choice. If it changes how you look at me, that is also your choice. I only ask that you look at it and see that the Barte that you know now is not the same guy that there was then. I have really "moved on" from that sort of behaviour and really am much different for it.
My son told me that this day would come and I knew there was no way that the press would let these sort of things stay in the past. I understood his concern for my aspirations and my personal life, but, I also know that it more important to be totally honest in the light of my aspirations.
Read it, understand it, and do what I have done, "move on".
If you really know me you will allow me to keep my past where it is and see how I am now.
I am a proud American, Father, Husband, and not in the least, a former active duty US Marine, but that as they say, is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment