Saturday, June 18, 2011

I have a past, imagine that......

I almost forgot to tell all of you. I have a past, imagine that.
I had an interview yesterday with a writer from Salt Lake City Weekly. It didn't take him long to find out that I have a past that had some issues.
I used to drink, (there are so many of you that do not know this). My behaviour at the time (almost 22 years ago) that I used to behave badly.
I had run-in's with the court and had to pay some fines and spent some time in a courtroom.
I am not sure how he is going to approach this issue (as it shouldn't be an issue because of how long ago) but I thought it best I tell you all up front.
I would believe that my behaviour as a young man and an alcoholic will not change the way you all look at me now. I have been sober for nearly 22 years and that behaviour was something that I knew would come up eventually.
Many of you have no idea as to my past as you see me for how I am now. I do not forget for a minute how I used to be, but, as most of you know, I am quite different now as you can see.
There are those that will try to use my past against me and if there are those that can not look past the way I used to act and the way I conduct myself now, I will not hold it against you. I merely ask you to see what I do, see how I conduct myself and how I act toward my friends and family without the prejudices of my past.
It certainly is quite a different way of thinking when you see that I am not like all other politicians (I certainly am not a politician). They want to hide the past and try to portray themselves as angels who never had any sort of past issues. Look at the Clinton era, where he never inhaled.......ha, ha.....
I never said I was an angel, I never deny my past. I say that my past makes me human and I have learned much from my mistakes. Just ask my family.
Realize this truth, I am a human being that has used my life experiences to sculpt the person you see on a daily basis. I am not perfect, nor did I ever say I was.
Experience is necessary for the growth of all people. Life teaches you much everyday. It is what you do after you make those choices that define how you live the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment